Thursday, March 4, 2010

Depression's Upside

Great article about depression in the NYT… have a read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/magazine/28depression-t.html?pagewanted=1&em

I'm fascinated by depression. I like movies or books that deal with suicide and depression because I've found those people most interesting because they think non-stop, albeit in a self-mutilating type of way. They're not side-tracked by anything superficial because they need to focus very deliberately on how to function for themselves and it makes them more 'real.' It also has very personal roots which I'll expand more on in some future posts. I went through a severe episode in 2002 - 2004 when I gained 40 pounds, withdrew from school and admitted myself to a hospital.. and a family member has committed suicide. I like the way this article sheds light on the matter.

No comments: