Thursday, January 14, 2010

MS150

93 days till the MS150! I always seem to underestimate bike rides and runs (or I overexert myself to keep up w/ the guy who passed me up).. when I'm in the middle of one I always think to myself, what the hell am I doing this for? That said I'm trying to ride this one for a cause and really be ready for it physically.. I'm already in pretty good shape, but I don't want to think 50 miles in about cashing in… I've been good about riding to work most days and lifting on occasion so I'm starting training at a lean 145. I've been trying to gain weight since training will probably make that number go down more, but my metabolism has been on full throttle.

Anyways (cue drumroll), I'm going to eliminate or cut back on alcohol. Luckily I don't think anyone knows about this blog, so I should be okay and not lose face if I don't succeed!

My training will consist of:
  • Weekend long rides starting gradually from flat/30 miles to hilly/70 miles. Do back-to-back rides late March/April since the MS is 2 days long.
  • Climbing stairs/plyometrics to build power for climbing hills in Austin
  • Squats/leg work on weekdays to build pedal stroke strength.
  • Core work/lower back for stability and to minimize fatigue on the bike.
  • Lifting during the week.
  • Rest mid-week w/ 1-2 offdays.
  • Light cycling during the week.
  • Nurse and massage my ITB 5x a week.. if that fucker flares up I won't be able to ride. It sidelined me for 7 months last year.
I can't finish without a plug to donote to sponsor me. http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/danimal

No comments: