Monday, January 25, 2010

Bike rage


This past Saturday was a kick-off to the Conoco Phillips training rides. This one was an optional 28 or 36 mile ride and I was eager to test my legs. It was my friend Teresa's first time riding a bicycle longer than 6 miles so I stayed with her at the beginning but after mile 2 I went ahead. She refused to ride near the front because she had some uncertainties, but she fared well and finished the whole 28 without a hiccup.

Anyways on to etiquette. After I stretched my legs on the bike and started cruising comfortably, a guy started to draft behind my wheel. I'm no experienced rider so I can swerve at anytime, but this guy stood on my back wheel for a good 4-5 miles. I pushed hard but w/ the headwind, there wasn't much I could do to get him off of me.. I was breaking the wind for him anyways so he wasn't really working hard. Finally after a bend in the road I got fed up, stood up on the pedals and left him in the dust. I pushed up to 27 mph on the flat to get him off. I thought cycling would lead to better manners as opposed to driving since you don't have a shield to protect against any misbehavior, but I was wrong. This guy was definitely no pro and I'm definitely a beginner so riding my ass was a recipe for disaster if we clipped each other. After he caught up with me at the rest stop he said "thanks for the pull back there." I wanted to degrease his bicycle chain.

On to happy thoughts. The ride proved well and I was able to cruise comfortably at 21 to 22 mph on the flats and down to 18 with the strong headwinds. 36 miles was no problem. 45 miles this weekend at a forecast of 32 degrees..

No comments: